Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Good morning my beautiful family!!!

How are things going in UTAH?? It’s so funny… Hoosiers think that 4 inches of snow is a lot, and the annual snowfall for February is about 6.3 inches, and we just got 6.1 yesterday!!! We do have quite a bit of snow, but not for us Utah folks… we just laugh when they say there is going to be a big storm… of 5 INCHES!!! :) ha ha… I love Indiana to pieces!!! So, this week has been an interesting one...

TUESDAY NIGHT we had an awesome lesson with BRIAN, a referral we’ve been trying to contact since I was here in November!! We finally had a lesson with him, and it was so awesome!!! I’ve never taught a lesson quite like that one before… we managed to teach the entire first lesson, but in the most scattered order ever!! But it was awesome, Sis. Summers and I taught the whole thing, and Sis. Summers committed him to baptism!! He said that he might in a while… but he’s pretty awesome regardless! He made us hot chocolate and muffins!!

WEDNESDAY was supposed to be transfers, but we got grounded, so they changed it to Thursday, but then E. Carskaddon called and said that our area was UN-grounded… we were so happy!! So we went and visited a couple of people… Diana and Mary in the hospitals, Louise, Edie (she said that they don’t think Roy – her husband - is going to make it through the weekend! :( ) and Ashley L. It was a good, but fairly uneventful day!

THURSDAY – we had transfer meeting!! I was so nervous!! I haven’t been that nervous for a long time!! But I managed to survive!! So, I’m pretty sure that you know my companion is Sis. Jenson from SMITHFIELD!!! She said that dad and her dad are going to learn more about the area, or something like that… anyways… we’re doing great together!! It’s hard to get to know a companion, and to know their attitude, personality, the way they teach, talk, walk, everything takes getting used to!! I thought a couple of times that she was mad at me… but it’s just what she was saying… and I’m trying to get better at taking suggestions and such… I have to realize that when people make suggestions they are not attacking me as a person, just making suggestions for me to grow and to help me… and the vast majority of the time it’s out of love!!!! So, as always, I’m continuing to grow and be stretched! An awesome experience!! I love Sis. Jenson… so… we talked about when I first met her, and how I thought that she was stuck up, and it was because she was speaking in church that day, and she was busy… and she really had no idea why Bob wanted us to meet, but we laughed over that!!! She’s awesome though!! And we get along great… this is going to be a great transfer! Oh, we were at transfer meeting for FOREVER!!! From about 10:30-4!! Sister Corey wanted us to practice the song for the meeting on Saturday with E. Christofferson… oh… and EXCITING NEWS!!!! Our new mission president is from Bountiful, UTAH, and his last name is Collins… he’s an attorney down there… anyone know him?? I’m so excited to get a new mission president, but I’ll miss President and Sister Corey at the same time… but Sister Corey and I have decided that we’re going to get together and practice duets… I’m pumped! We’re going to play the entire Mother Goose Suite!!!!! Woo-hoo!!!

FRIDAY – we had three awesome lessons!!! We met with a investigator that we had awhile ago, LINDA with an awesome lesson, she is taking a human sexuality class at IUPUI and talks about stuff like that all the time… talk about awkward!!! I love teaching law of chastity lessons… they are so much fun!! It was so funny because last time we were there with the 3 of us, S. Summers was acting really interested in the class and both S. Rich and I wanted her to stop talking about it so we could teach a lesson… and she said that she would bring her text book down next time… and we were talking about life in general, and she asked “Did I ever show you my textbook?” and I said “Nope. Have you been reading the BOM lately?” Later Sister Jenson said that it was really funny!! I didn’t say it to be rude, but we’re there to teach the gospel… and I couldn’t care less about seeing her textbook… people are so funny!!! Oh, then the rest of the afternoon was spent at the mission home!! When we practiced at transfers, Sister Corey was playing the piano, and I was singing in the choir, but she couldn’t direct and play at the same time, so she asked me to come and play… and I was so surprised that I could sight read as well as I did with how little I play the piano!!! President Ellis (the 1st counselor in the mission presidency) died last week, and Sister Corey wrote the most amazing song ever!! It’s called “I Will Be Thy Servant” and my new favorite song!!! I love it so much!!! So Elders Busby, Cubit, Hernandez and Carskaddon were singing a quartet with most of it, and then a choir of 30 elders were singing with them at parts… and so Sister Corey decided that it would be best for her to lead and for me to play… so we went to the mission home to practice with the quartet… but only Elder Cubit showed up!!! So we went over the whole song, deciding what we were going to do… Sister Corey still hadn’t finished writing it… so she played for about ½ of the time. And since there were no other elders there to sing, she asked me and S. Jenson to fill in the parts… and Sister Corey said that they were going to cancel the quartet and have E. Cubit and I sing!!! We (and I’m not saying this cockily [which is a word… maybe spelled wrong, but whatever]) sound SO good together!!!!!!!!! We have very similar voices… and it was so much fun to sing with him!! We were going to sing at “Why I Believe” on Sunday, but it got canceled because of the snow… but we’ll sing it next month :)

SATURDAY was the most awesome day!!!!!!! We left our house at 7 so we could catch a ride with the Corey’s to Muncie where the funeral was. Then we practiced for about 2-3 hours with mics and everything. I forgot how much fun it was to play for musical numbers!!! And a choir of elders with amazing voices makes is even better!!! The elders were so funny!!!!! I love them all so much… in the righteous way of course!!! The funeral was amazing and the stake center was filled up! He had been a stake president in Muncie, and was a very amazing man… the musical number was so powerful and it was such an amazing experience to be able to play for it!!!!!! We were there until about 5 and then we had a dinner appointment with the Pack family. They are really opening up to us, and I really really love Ashely… they were going to come to church on Sunday, but things came up. But we had an awesome talk about baptism, and seeing the Lord’s hand in our lives. Ashley’s boyfriend is really opening up to us, and we had such a great time with them!!! But it’s so sad to see what taking the wrong path can do… but I’m so glad that there is repentance!!! When we were sitting in the car in front of the Packs, the assistants called and just wanted to say thanks for playing and such, and they are so hilarious… they went on and on about what a great page turner that S. Jenson was!! Then they called that night to see if they could come and visit our ward, and E. Stranski was talking to me and then everyone starts yelling and he says “Oh my gosh Sis. Smith!! We almost hit a horse!!!” It was really funny… the assistants are the best!!!

SUNDAY – was so funny with the assistants there!!! They are so hilarious!!! So we have a new assistant (Elder Miller – when he saw me, he asked how my spiders were!!), and so they were ALL my zone leaders at one point!! They were sitting behind us in sacrament meeting and kept saying all sorts of funny stuff to me… I love them all so much!!! They are from all over the US… New York, California, Nevada and Arizona… no Utah missionaries… big surprise!! Anyways, I could go on and on… but I really better go!!! Oh, and Diana found out she's going to have a pancreas, spleen, liver and bowel transplant!! Can you believe that????

MONDAY we were snowed in so we cleaned out our disgusting apartment… and threw away 6 garbage bags of junk… and we’re not even done yet!!!! Then we tried Brian when we were ungrounded, and then we went and saw Maria and Jorge… they fed us another amazing Mexican meal, and then Maria taught us how to talk to Hispanic people that we meet while we’re tracting!!! Then we decided that we’re going to go there every Monday and she’ll teach us Spanish and we’ll help her with her English!!! I’m so excited!!!!!!!!

I hope that everyone is having an awesome week!!! I love you all so much… I hope that you had an awesome Valentine's day!!!!!

Love,
Sis. Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment